Timber can look good in many different finishes. And just about anything except raw wood can last for decades. But there are sometime variations beyond plain wood that work well for some situations.
- Painted on designs. You floor can look like it has a carpet rug, only it’s a painted on design. This works well with dark, earthy colours.
- Combining wood with tiles. You probably have tiles in the kitchen, and wood in the surrounding rooms. If the wood is cut into connecting geometric patterns it can work in the same manner as the tiles.
- A floor with a mosaic design made from wood is called Parquetry. It has to be specifically designed for the individual floor, but it is always impressive.
- A floor can be covered with tiles shaped like a jigsaw. This is a simple matter if all the pieces are designed to interchangeably fit together.
- Two colours of wood can be quite striking, especially if black and white. A white boarder around a black floor is effective, especially for a large reception hall.
- A pattern can be etched into a floor and then filled with paint. Light paint on a dark floor is especially vivid.